12/12/08

Don't Know What You Got 'Til It's Gone...

You can say it in so many ways, but I think Joni Mitchell describes it best. My recent relocation has brought me to the realization that sans my most loved companions I am completely lost. I find myself missing common conversation that I would have otherwise taken for granted. Missing the familiar faces of my life that bring extreme happiness along with extreme sadness, the good, and the inevitable bad, out in me and each other. Coming from a big city made smaller with the barrings of a recognizable face at any club, park, thrift store, local watering-hole, or perchance a passing in the street, I find myself searching for an outlet of confirmation that I exist in a network of experiences all leading to a current state. Without the, what some may call "mundane", encounters of life, I am missing something tangible that grounds assurance, allowing me to pusher further and harder into the future and take unthinkable chances based on the reliance of a safety net awaiting the fall.
Today in a society with electronic communication, contact made swiftly with a few clicks of a mouse and the access to a world wide web of experience, one could easily say there is a net available for anyone with any kind of difficulty. However, at the moment a more physical reassurance from someone who's seen the fall, nursed the wounds, and regarded the triumph back to life is what I am after.
One person does not hold the power to do so. Chronicled by many thinkers of the time we are a "me" generation, as our parents were, but I do not believe this to be the case. I like to think this body has been guided by everyone who has made contact with it. The mind, an accumulation of ideals, advice, and understandings of a larger part. I would not be who I am at this moment without you. Much that I have learned and will come to learn was and will be from you.
I would also like to say that words on a page do not quantify the look in your eyes, the parted lips of your grin, the way you gently touch my shoulder and tell me "things with be okay", "you really hurt me", or "c'est la vie".
There are so many remarkable people in my life I would never dream of being someone else, somewhere else. Because me without you has left me with a loneliness that only a much stronger me could face.

1 comment:

jaj said...

holla.....


c'est belle!